Family & Law Conflicts
Families often require more legal aid than is commonly realized, especially when a disabled child or adult comes in contact with the legal system or when a family seeks adoption. Other family issues concern estate planning and competency of parents to complete a will.
Other examples include:
- Foster care, adoption and attachment issues.
- Guardianship & Competency of minors and seniors.
- Delinquency and reckless behavior.
- Parenting evaluations and consultations.
- Divorce issues, including high conflict divorces and post-divorce disputes.
- GAL assessments, including custody & visitation issues.
- Abuse, neglect and physical maltreatment issues.
Immigration and Asylum Issues
We can also provide psychological assessments and opinions regarding immigration and asylum applications and appeals. This is an emerging field of increasing importance as we face an increase in “failed” states and learn more from refugees about the living conditions under oppressive regimes, the enduring effects of war, poverty and famine and survivors of “ethnic cleansing.” Some locations might include The Balkans, some central African states, former Eastern Bloc nations and nations governed by dictatorship. Examples of our services include:
- Assessment of the psychological consequences of rape, torture and institutionalized or state-sponsored abuse.
- Human Rights Violations and Issues.
- K-1 (“Fiancee”) Visa applications and Opinion about suitability for marriage.
- The Psychological impact of enforced repatriation.
- Credibility Assessments.
- Ability to Assimilate.
- The Impact of “foreign” Cultural Aspects upon “western” Psychological Conditions.
Accidents and illnesses can have serious psychological repercussions in the functional lives of individuals, their families and their everyday activities. After-Effects can spill over into interpersonal, school and work areas.
We can provide:
- Expert witness consultation regarding psychological impairment.
- Disability chart and case reviews.
- Evaluations under the Americans with Disability Act.
- Guardianship and Competency in probate and criminal matters.
- Psychological and psychiatric standard of care issues.
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IMEs) for psychological disability.
- Disability and Worker’s Compensation Evaluations.
- Independent Consultative Evaluations (CEs) for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) claims.